Monday, September 29, 2008

Sexy Secretary

I'm in a good mood right now because I had a pretty good day at work, and by that I mean I spent absolutely zero time scanning or renaming files.  Wonderful!  And I don't have work tomorrow, thank you Jewish population of New York City.

Today was kind of interesting though.  All morning I was manning the reception desk (10-2) because it's Jasmine, the receptionist's, day off.  (It's always hard for me to figure out how to punctuate appositives when there's a possessive... just a little thing that confuses me about grammar...).  It's not like anyone particularly interesting called, but it's fun to feel like I have actual power in the office.  Perhaps a holdover from my attraction to Stage Managing.

This one guy named Zachary kept calling because he's trying to get an internship with Barry, my boss for the Shakespeare Initiative, and his e-mails weren't going through so I was trying to help him with that but I was checking my e-mails on the internet instead of through Outlook so I couldn't tell if his attachments were coming through and it was this whole big thing.  But I hope he gets the job, mostly just so I can meet him.

But after reception I got to usher a staged reading, which was definitely a throwback to H-W and made me miss that performing arts department like mad.  Even more, the doors to the theatre were near the set construction shop and the set construction guys are really friendly.  It's not like I actually talked to any of them, but they all smile really genuinely unlike pretty much everyone I've encountered in NYC besides people I work closely with (not many people).  I looked in their shop as well and Rees Pugh would die if he saw it; it's so nice in there.

The reading was alright.  It was called "The Concubine," which is a musical adaptation of a novel with the same name.  It was kinda weird and not terribly coherent, but it was a staged reading for the purpose of a) working on it and b) showing it to producers/theater directors who, they hope, will give it a home for further workshopping to make it into a good show.  I don't know, maybe it just wasn't my cup of tea, but I wasn't too impressed.

So yeah, today was pretty much a good day.  :)

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

Hello :) this is most random, but what the hay... Sounds - well, reads - like you had an interesting day. You're one of the few people I've found who's actually read House of Leaves, what did you think?

Caitlin said...

Haha, well i'm kinda glad theres 2 of us :)Enjoy your day off :)