Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Cock & Tail

Today at work I got to go out and explore some new areas of NYC taking flyers for the Native Theater Festival to some of the sponsors.  I discovered the National Museum of American Indians, which is down near the Statue of Liberty ferries and I had noticed the building last time I was down there but didn't know what it was.  I also walked less than 10 blocks carrying a really heavy box of flyers and it hurt to bend my elbows for a long time after that.  I was thinking of walking the whole way, since that particular box was going to an office just past Union Square, which is walking distance from The Public, but I'm glad I took the subway because even though it was only .63 miles, carrying that box the whole way would have destroyed me.

After work I came home, changed into a cute little dress and went out to a cocktail party to celebrate the end of the 2-day musical theater festival I wrote about yesterday (I couldn't catch any more readings today because I was busy with those flyers).  So I went to this party, hoping that maybe I'd know someone or at least meet people like at the Nantucket Film Festival.  But my experience in both worlds is that the film world is much broader than the theatre world -- theatre is a tight-knit industry and it's such a self-selecting group of people with very similar personalities.  But I met some people -- this guy named Casey who seemed as awkward being there as I did, a guy named Larry who works for "Mazel Musicals" in Florida and knew of my dad's company (they do a lot of work in FL) but not of my dad or John Gore, CEO of Broadway Across America.  I talked to some people from Millikin who were from that theatre department and I asked if they knew Eric Glawe, one of my counselors from NYFA/an actor who went there, but they said the name sounded familiar but didn't know him.  I guess he must not have been a theatre major.  And I talked to the woman who wrote the music and lyrics for "Beatsville."  Of the people I talked to, neither Casey nor Larry had seen it but they'd both heard that the consensus was that it's really good, so I'm hoping that bodes well.

I also ran into Jen Wheeler, who was my stage managing mentor for last year's "Pinocchio" dance concert at H-W.  It was a random but pleasant surprise.

No comments: