Friday, October 3, 2008

H. G. Wells is a G

So, bad part first:

This morning I didn't quite set my alarm right so I sleep until around 10:40 (40 minutes after my day technically starts, aka the time I usually get to work by). So I was already running late. Then I tripped while crossing 71st street and faceplanted in the middle of the street. My face literally hit the pavement. And I almost lost my cell phone; a nice lady walking a little behind me picked it up and gave it back to me. Then I got to the post office nearby to drop something in the mailbox and I couldn't find it in my purse. I so I went back to 71st and 1st (the post office is on 70th between 2nd and 3rd avenues) and the letter wasn't there. I found it later while I was on the subway, it had slipped into the pages of my notebook, but it was still a lame morning. I'm OK from the fall. I think my cheek is very minorly bruised, and my wrists hurt stil (especially the right one), but it doesn't seem to be anything serious so I'm grateful for that. It was incredibly embarrassng and not what I needed when I was already running late, and I'm sorry to the guy who tried to ask me if I was OK and ended up getting "OH FUCK ME" shouted at him. But it's all good.

But during my lunch break I finished reading "The Time Machine," which I'd started yesterday on the subway, and I did some thinking about how a) HG Wells is awesome and b) he really did build a time machine. I mean not literally, of course, but he invented the idea of the time machine in popular culture, and people are still writing about it, so in that way it has travelled through time. I thought that was kind of a cool idea. Now I need to go buy "War of the Worlds."

So I'm in reception right now, covering Jasmine's lunch break, and I have "Fast Food Nation" to start so I'm gonna do that, but I just wanted to post a little something. I'm going back to LA tonight and after this morning I could not be more ready to be home. I'm definitely going to do a little travelling this winter once I'm done in NYC (which cannot come soon enough).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi...I didn´t fully realize you were keeping a blog and also just finally had 5 extra seconds online to read it...it sounds like you aren´t having too bad a time in NYC...princeton sounded fun, yeah? Well, I miss you and I believe you asked about Vietnam...I think I´m mainly there in December...We leave new year´s day...

xxoo