Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Book List

So, I'm still trying to make sense of what NY meant to me and how I feel about moving back to LA (not so great right now), but in the meantime I'll share the list of books I've read so far on gap year and some thoughts.

Pyramids, by Terry Pratchett

-  Very funny, usual discworld stuff from Terry Pratchett.  My enjoyment was also heightened by my prior investigation into/infatuation with ancient Egyptian history in my early years, since this is highly mocked (in a loving way) in this book.


The Time Machine, by H.G. Wells

-  I wrote a previous blog post about this, but I adored this book.  It was wonderful.


The Thirty-Nine Steps, by John Buchan

-  nice little thriller, the basis for the movie and play of the same name.  However, those two are very loosely based on this book.


Bright Lights, Big City, by Jay McInerney

-  I thought this was going to be more about NYC drug culture in the '80s, but it was more about one guy and his dissatisfaction with his life and stuff.  It was good, though.  And a quick read.


Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley

-  This prompted SO much thought, my goodness.  It describes a world controlled, not by fear like in 1984 (George Orwell was a colleague/I think a student of Huxley's), but by genetic predestination and euphoria-inducing drugs.  It's pretty good, and, like I said, very thought-provoking.


Brave New World Revisited, by Aldous Huxley

-  Huxley discusses why the world of Brave New World is still feasible 20 years after its publication, in the '50s.  He discusses how he didn't include nuclear technology in the book and wishes he did, as well as ways in which he thinks we can avoid the future of Brave New World.  I took a lot of notes in the margins in this book, since quite a few of his ideas are pretty outdated, and I want to write more about that at some point, but not right now (especially since I don't know exactly where the book is at the moment...)


Stiff, by Mary Roach

-  This is a book about cadavers.  Quite a good book, actually, although the first half, when discussing the more direct scientific uses of cadavers, is better than the second, which gets a bit metaphysical.  I'm also pretty morbid, so... yeah.


Just After Sunset, by Stephen King

- As much as his novels (well, mostly the recent ones, but really anything since like Misery) are quite self-indulgent, he's still a great story teller and the short story form really helps him stay focused.  I was so happy to see that he had a new book of short stories out when I found this at the airport.


The Mayor of Castro Street, by Randy Shilts

-  This book was AMAZING.  It's a biography of Harvey Milk and it's so inspiring.  It tapped into the part of me that, in the sixth grade, wanted to join the Peace Corps or save the world or something like that.  Harvey Milk has a lot in common with Barack Obama, actually.  Both were charismatic leaders who changed the face of politics.  Also, Milk's stump speech was called the "Hope Speech" since it revolved around the message that life is always worth living because there is always hope.  And Milk relied on grassroots volunteers, and had his swearing-in outside because he knew so many people would want to see it, much like Obama had his convention speech in a football stadium for increased capacity.


The Tales of Beadle the Bard, by J.K. Rowling

-  I had to, for completeness.  Not amazing, not incredibly disappointing.  Obviously a must for Harry Potter fans and those of us who have grown up with those books.


So... yeah... that's what I've been up to, at least reading-wise.

No comments: