Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Busy Weekend... Almost Thanksgiving!


I'm at work. I finished up what I had left to do on the spreadsheet for the holiday cards, and now I'm just waiting to hear back about some addresses, which I probably won't even hear back on today anyway. So I'm probably going to leave soon, and the day ends at 2:00 today anyway, but I'll stick about for a little while. I'm just getting a little antsy about getting to be home for 4 days! (even though I'll be really busy) AND I get to bake pie tomorrow, which I'm excited for since baking is one of my favorite things!

But anyway, I'll wrap up the story of this weekend and Emily and Kali's visit.

Saturday Emily and Kali saw "13" and "Spring Awakening," and I hung out by myself while they did those and met them by the stage doors to take pictures. Between shows we wandered to Rockefeller Center, contemplated skating, but decided against it since it was expensive and would have taken a long time. We had dinner at Junior's deli, which was great, and for dessert Emily had this specialty of theirs which is Devil's Food Cheesecake, which is basically a 2-layer Devil's Food cake with chocolate icing on top of cheesecake. I don't like cheesecake, but I had some of the Devil's Food and it was INCREDIBLE! I had a black & white cookie for dessert, and I gave some to Kali and it was her first black & white and she enjoyed it so I'm glad (I know the number of "and"s in that sentence is gross). But my god, that devil's food cake... wow.
Sunday morning they went to coffee with our friend Amy from high school and then out to tea with Emily's cousin at Alice's Tea Cup, then they went to the North Face store to get a jacket for Kali. I slept in and went to Bloomingdale's with my mom for brunch and half-hearted Christmas dress shopping. Emily, Kali and I met up around 2:00 at the Central Park Zoo, where I was dismayed to learn that I'd left my camera battery charging in the apartment! But the zoo was fun. We watched them feeding sea lions, seals, and penguins, and saw the polar bears which Emily in particular was jazzed about. We spent a long time in the rain forest exhibit, more out of the desire to be warm (it's tropical animals, hence WARM building), less out of love of the rainforest animals. Although I enjoyed the bats, the birds were colorful, and we saw some crazy awesome frogs and lizards and such. Water snakes are creepy as hell.
Then we went back to the apartment and got the camera battery, and returned to the park for a brief photo shoot (because I am nothing if not a photography addict). The pictures are here:
They left Sunday afternoon a little after 4:00, then my parents and I went to the opening night of "White Christmas." This is one of my family's favorite Christmas movies. There was one really weird moment at the beginning where the main guy started singing the title song and, although it sounded good, I just kinda found it really jarring that he sounded nothing like Bing Crosby. Bing's voice is so distinctive, and that song is so iconic, I guess it was just a visceral reaction. Also, and this is a cultural/generational reaction, at first I was kinda thrown by the fact that these two super successful Broadway/performing stars (the two main male characters) had been in the army, since that's not the type of guy you associate with being in the army, but then I realized it was WWII, which a) had a draft and b) had incredible popular support, so pretty much everyone from most walks of life either enlisted or was drafted. But it was the first time that I'd really NOTICED the influence on my thought processes by the culture I've grown up in.
The desserts at the party were AMAZING. Since it was "White Christmas," all the desserts were white (sugar cookies, nutty cookies covered in powdered sugar, cheesecake, and, most importantly, white chocolate mousse). The chocolate mousse was so good, I had at least 3 (probably actually 4) of the little cups. And with the last one I had a cup of hot chocolate, and I discovered the amazingness of dipping the spoonful of white chocolate mousse in the hot chocolate before eating it. Wonderful. Writing about it right now makes me crave it...
But I get to bake pies tomorrow so hooray! I think I'm gonna leave here in 10 or so minutes so... yay! Thanksgiving!

No comments: