Monday, November 3, 2008

One Day Left...

So, if you have never read a blog post of mine, I'm very, very liberal and so tomorrow I will be rooting for an Obama victory (technically today on New York time, but BARELY).  I voted via absentee ballot this weekend while I was in L.A., and I'm also very nervous about certain state issues.  Prop 8, the ban on gay marriage, is a huge deal.  I really don't believe that anyone's civil liberties should be restricted, and I'm also in favor of gay marriage in general but in this case it's more than just that issue.  I'm also against prop 4, which would require parental notification for minors getting abortions.  This doesn't actually protect anyone and should definitely be voted down.  Then there's prop 2, which is about animal rights on farms.  The big issue here is chickens.  While I do believe that animals shouldn't be kept in tiny little cages and such, it is true that this would raise the price of California eggs and push consumers toward non-CA farmed eggs that cost less, ultimately hurting the California economy, which is highly entertainment and agriculture based.  I'm voting no on this because I thought about it and, as much as I love chickens, when I'm in the market I buy the absolute cheapest eggs, and especially with the economy in a downturn I'm not gonna change that in favor of protecting chickens.  Those are the big moral issues on the California ballot.

Anyway, I'm nervous for all of those tomorrow (mostly President and prop 8).  I also think I'm gonna go to the nearest polling station (which is pretty close to The Public, I looked it up online) and take some pictures at points during the day.  And hopefully I'm gonna watch election returns with Madeleine at NYU later, otherwise it's me and Chinese take-out yelling at the TV.

Today I went with my co-worker Jess, an intern for the artistic producer Maria, to help move some boxes for a friend of Maria into her apartment.  It was actually pretty nice to get out of the office, and walk back to The Public with Jess from Washington Square Park, which is a neighborhood I haven't explored.  I didn't do much else exciting, just the usual scanning, filing, and copying.

I have to shower and SLEEP now, so good night all, and to all a good night.

No comments: