Sunday, November 9, 2008

Jayson - Day Two

Today after finally waking up I dragged Jayson to Cafe Luka, this coffee shop a little over a block from my apartment, for brunch.  Brunch was unexciting, then we took a cab to the Natural History Museum.

We went to see this exhibit called "Lizards and Snakes Alive!" which I thought included petting of lizards and snakes, but alas did not.  We had a lot of fun taking pictures of the lizards, especially trying to catch the blue-tongued skink with its blue tongue sticking out (we only managed to get one really blurry photo of this event despite MANY pictures of the skink).  Then the camera battery died.  :(

We finished touring the lizard exhibit, then found an outlet in one of the main museum hallways and plugged the camera battery in to charge.  This museum guy came up to us to give us a survey.  He asked where we were from, and when we said L.A. he mentioned all the political stuff that's going on there and the crime rate going up because of that.  Jayson made some joke about how all the gangs have gone into hiding because they're afraid of all the protests and the guy just lost it.  Then we took the survey, which was about an exhibit they're thinking of installing about insects and spiders.  Some of it actually sounded pretty cool, and as much as I love the museum it really could use something new and exciting.

After the museum we walked back to the apartment through Central Park.  All I can say is I wish I'd gone to Central Park a thousand other times while I've been here.  I've only really been in the park in the winter (and this past summer to see "Hair"), but it is absolutely GORGEOUS in the fall.  It helped that today had absolutely amazing light and I was on a picture taking spree.  I'm not posting pictures here because it's SUCH a pain in the ass but I'll link to a website where you can find all my photography at the end of this post.

We made it back to the apartment to get Jayson's bag and discovered that he had to HURRY to get to Penn station in time for his train.  He made it, but he told me over the phone that he'd left his iPod in his cab and had to chase after it to get the iPod back.

After Jayson left I went back to the park to check out this traveling art installation that is on its last day in NYC.  It features work by different artists inspired by the Chanel quilted handbag, and travels in this really cool space-pod looking venue.  It's going to major international fashion capitols.

Unfortunately, they were out of tickets (which are free) and, like I said, this is the last day, so I couldn't get in.  I was a little bummed but I did check out the outside of it, which was pretty cool, and took some more pictures in the park.

Now I'm back at the apartment eating and relaxing and I'll probably work for a little bit before I go to bed but... we'll see.  I need to get a good night's sleep so I'll at least try to go to bed early.

No comments: